Monday, September 13, 2010

Getting Dressed

I find myself having a lot of help getting dressed these days! No, it does not come from MB (she has already picked out what I should or shouldn't buy), but it is coming from my boys! Almost everyday, they are wanting to help me get dressed. They are wanting to pick out what shorts/pants I should wear or pick out what shirt I should wear. They love to pick out my shoes too. Most of the time they get it right. They know what shirt/shorts/shoes I wear when I go running. They know what shoes I wear when I go work in the yard...Calder calls them my "mownmowing" shoes. They know what shoes I wear to the church, to the pool, around the house, etc. They know what shirts/pants/shorts I wear when I am going certain places. They are pretty good at knowing where I am going based on what I am wearing.

Luke 12:35 tells us to be 'dressed in readiness.' And while my kids know where I am going based on what I am wearing...do they always know that I am dressed in Christ. Do they know that I am dressed to be ready? Do they know that I have on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6.10-17)?

Although I am almost always dressed and ready for where I am going...whether it is to my yard, or church, the grocery store, the ballgame, the beach, etc., I know I am not always dressed in readiness and don't have on the FULL armor of God. Some days I think that I can just put on parts of the armor...the parts that are comfortable to me, the parts that won't hinder what I am doing, the parts that are easy to carry! But the call and challenge is simple. PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD and be DRESSED IN READINESS. That's it!

My hope is that my boys will know that I have on the armor of God and that I am dressed in readiness. And just as they have picked out my shoes to go running, they know what it means and looks like, when I have "shod my feet with the preparation of the Gospel of peace." I hope my wife tells me on the way out the door, that what I am wearing looks great. Not because of what I physically have on, but because she thinks my Armor is good looking! That could be the next country Christian hit song..."She thinks my Armor's sexy!"

Each morning, it will make my routine of getting dressed take a little longer, because hopefully I will have to struggle to fit my physical clothes over my armor!

What are you wearing???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive