Here is why:
Back a few weeks ago we celebrated Mother's Day, both in my home and at church! The mother's were recognized at church and we cancelled ALL activities on that Sunday night so that families could spend time with their mother's, remember their mother's, etc. But I wonder why?
Because this Sunday is Father's Day and we, as a church, have not cancelled anything for it! I am sure that Father's will get their recognition (maybe) on Sunday morning, but as far as cancelling Sunday night programs...why are we still having Sunday night church, deacons meeting, finance meeting, etc.???
I am afraid that we have begun to cancel everything for Mother's Day out of fear and not out of honor and respect. I am afraid that we are afraid of what might happen if we don't devote a day to mom's and make sure we spend as much as the day as we can with them. But, what makes me upset is that we are not doing this for dad's.
Now, I am a dad and that is not why I am writing this... I am NOT writing so that I can spend more time with my kids, I am NOT writing so that I can spend more time with my wife, I AM writing because we are surrounded, both inside and outside the church, with a father-less world, but we are refusing to honor that time as a church.
Father's are already spending too much time:
- working
- golfing
- hunting
- watching TV
- fishing
- working in the yard
- _______________ (put whatever it is that you would like)
So, why are we, the church, not encouraging dads to hang out with their children. Because this Sunday night there will be 30-40 dads here at the church doing "church stuff" and not spending the evening with their wife and kids! They (dad's) already don't get enough, or don't choose enough, time for their family.
Come on church, let's do our part! Let dad's have the night off too so that they can spend it with their families. They need, their wives need it, and their kids need it!
What are we afraid might happen...that dad's will get a few more much needed hours to spend with their families?! Seems like a simple answer to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment