Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Open Our Eyes

It was back in the fall that I heard about one of the custodians, at the church, and how she was pregnant, and that she was considering having an abortion. My wife and I quickly called her into my office, where she was stand-offish and did not want to talk about this at all. I left the room, and left my wife to talk, woman to woman. My wife encouraged her to not only have the baby, but also, that we would help find a doctor, or whatever we could do, to help keep the bills down.

Nine months later, Khloe Christine Sylvester, was born! Praise the Lord! The mom was out of work for a few months and has recently come back to work at the church. I told her that I wanted to see a picture of that baby when she had a second to come to my office. She brought me a picture and tears formed in my eyes. Latricia thanked me and Mary Beth for all that we had done, and thanked us for "helping her not be ignorant." She told us to keep doing what we are doing!

Latricia and Khloe will be participating in Parent and Child Dedication in just a couple of weeks. God is so Good!

I do not share this post to give myself or Mary Beth any kind of credit. I believe that God placed this situation right in front us and we had to make the choice whether we were going to do something about it or not. God simply opened our eyes to someone that was hurting and gave us the great pleasure of stepping in and having a tough conversation to someone that truly needed it. She needed to feel that comfort, the love, the grace of a God that walks right beside us.

I am praising God that my vision was not blurry that day and that God was certainly glorified!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive